The following report written by Mary O’ Callaghan & Maxime Dubois
“On Monday 27th February, the Graduation Ceremony of the Irish Guild of Sommeliers’ Wine Course 2016/2017 took place in Ely CHQ, IFSC.
The IGS would like to thank their partners for the course: the RAI, the Embassies of France, Italy & Spain as well as their cultural departments, and especially their representatives who kindly attended the ceremony.
At the presentation Mrs. Mary O’Callaghan,President ,Irish Guild of Sommeliers, said;
“As President of the Irish Guild of Sommeliers, I am delighted to welcome you to our sommelier graduation ceremony which is a very important date in the Guild’s calendar.. We are particularly honoured to have the, the Ambassador of Italy – H.E. Mr. Giovanni ADORNI-BRACCESI, Counsellor Gisele Hivert Messeca ,French Embassy and Counsellor Mr. Javier Moral, from the Spanish Embassy. It is great honour to have representatives from three of the oldest and most important wine producing countries in the world join us. Thank you for your valued support.
The Irish Guild of Sommeliers in partnership with the Restaurant Association of Ireland is delighted to promote this comprehensive sommelier training course for the wine and catering trade. Promoting wine education is a core aim of the IGS. The course provided an opportunity for young sommeliers to update skills, to learn of current developments in the industry,and to grow their knowledge and understanding of the wonderful world of wine.
Students who are presented with their Sommelier Certificates today have completed 10 weeks of lectures and tastings. They have shown great commitment and worked hard, all in their free time, to get to this point. I congratulate all of you and I wish you well in your future careers. I hope that you continue to nurture your love of, and interest in wine.
There are some people whom I wish to thank. Firstly I want to thanks Adrian Cummins, CEO of the Restaurants Association of Ireland without whom this course would never have happened.
I would like to thank all the lecturers for their usual professionalism and dedication in delivering the course , free of charge. This reflects their love and sincere commitment to wine.
Many thanks to all the many organisations who provided excellent venues for the lectures at no cost and last but not least I want to thank the many wine companies who provided wines for the practical sessions.
Behind every venture like this there is usually a few key people who drive the project. In this venture we were fortunate that two Council members, Max Dubois and Pedro Julian Jimenez Lopez expertly administered the course. I want to express my heartfelt thanks to them for all their hard work.”
The IGS would also like to thank the lecturers who took part in this course and gave a lot of their time to produce their chapter of the Student Manual, teach a module for the course & provide samples at little or no cost:
– Mary O’Callaghan, President of the Irish Guild of Sommeliers
– Diarmuid Cawley, Wine Studies at DIT
– Noel McMahon, Wine Educator at Febvre Wines
– Richard MacMahon, Wine Buyer at Enowine
– Barbara Boyle M.W.,, Wine Buyer at Wine Mason
– Antonio Lorente/Rafael Salazar, Vinos Tito
– Fionnuala Synnott, Wine Buyer at La Rousse Wines
– Jean Smullen, Wine Consultant
– Julie Dupouy, 3rd Best Sommelier in the World 2016,Edward Dillon & Co. Ltd., Irish Guild of Sommeliers
– Maxime Dubois, Enowine, Irish Guild of Sommeliers
– Pedro Jimenez Lopez, Lobster Pot, Irish Guild of Sommeliers
The IGS would also like to thank the partners who provided excellent venues for the course:
– Philippe Milloux, Director,Alliance Francaise in Dublin
– Laura Martin, Instituto Cervantes in Dublin
– Renata Sperandio, Director of Istituto Italiano di Cultura in Dublin
– Ross Lewis , Chapter One Restaurant
– The Team at QTR.EAST Restaurant, IFSC
-Ely Wine Bar and Brasserie, IFSC
Finally, the IGS would like to congratulate our 13 graduates, whose great commitment & hard work resulted to the award of the IGS Sommelier Certificate:
– Fiona O’Keeffe, The Black Olive, Longford
– James Hatton, La Bucca Restaurant, co. Meath – BEST TASTER 2016/2017
– Michelle Powell, Fish Shop, Dublin
– Sun Wei, J2 Sushi, Dublin
– Talha Pasha, Kinara Restaurant, Dublin
– Bogdan Deji, Fallon & Byrne, Dublin
– Camille Chaput, The Pig’s Ear, Dublin
– Conor Deegan, Pacino’s, Dublin
– Antonio Clemente, Waterford Castle Hotel, Waterford
– Dave Fitzpatrick, The Lotts Pub, Dublin
– Jan Figala, Chapter One, Dublin
– Nela Vycitalova, Fallon & Byrne, Dublin
– Mary McCormack-Sandison Waterford OVERALL CHAMPION OF THE COURSE”