The Irish Guild of Sommeliers Australian Wine Tasting
On Thursday 15th September Ken Behan hosted an excellent a tutored tasting of Australian wines for members of The Irish Guild of Sommeliers in Dublin.
Ken Behan, Guild member, on completion of his WSET Diploma last year won the prestigious Australian Scholarship.
He spent 2 weeks earlier this year visiting many Australian vineyards.
He presented some wines he tasted while in Australia and gave information on the wines along with the background of the people behind the label. The following is a list of the wines and those who donated some of them:
- McWilliams Mount Pleasant “Elizabeth” Semillon 2005 Hunter Valley.
- Wakefield Riesling 2009 Clare Valley
- Mayer Close Planted Pinot Noir 2008 Yarra Valley. Timo Mayer of Mayer Wines, Yarra arranged the bottles of his 2009 close planted Pinot Noir from his UK agents. It is available from Le Caveau, Kilkenny.
- Bowen Estate Cabernet Savignon 2009 Coonawarra which was donated to Ken for this tasting when he was in Australia by Emma Bowen of Bowen Estates in Coonawarra.
- Langmell Orphan Bank Shiraz 2008 Barossa – supplied by Curious Wines, Cork.
- Pfeiffer Rutherglen Muscat, thanks to Emily and Joe Karwig, Karwig Wines, Cork who supplied this wine on behalf of Chris Pfeiffer.
This tasting organised by Catherine Griffith WSET Dip.