Chairman of the A.S.I.
ASI, a non-profit making organisation, was founded in Reims (France) on the 3 – 4 June 1969, and has the following aims:
• bring together the national sommellerie associations (just one member association per country) and to promote their founding where they do not yet exist,
• co-ordinate actions aimed at developing and advancing the profession by various means (training courses, etc.)
• enhance the sommelier’s profession by educating the consumer,
• defend the ethics of the profession.
ASI participates in all events related to wine, spirits and other drinks, and is able to take any action directly or indirectly aimed at its objectives defined above.
The ASI legal Headquarters are located in Paris (France) and is administered by the member country holding the presidency for a three-year period. The Council comprises of the President, a General Secretary, helped by an assistant Secretary, a Treasurer and an assistant Treasurer, as well as the Presidents of each national member association or their elected representatives.
Today ASI has 45 member and 9 observer countries and is an active participant in the development, organisation and recognition of the sommelier profession, training and competitions are its main activities.
1. Serge Dubs (FR), Vice-president European Continent
2. Danio Braga (BR), Vice-president American Continent
3. Gérard Basset (UK), General Secretary
4. Michèle Chantôme (FR), Deputy General Secretary
5. Philippe Faure-Brac (FR), Treasurer
6. Bruno Scavo (MC), Deputy Treasurer
On the occasion of its General Assembly held in Bordeaux within the frame of VINEXPO, the A.S.I. showed a definitely new vitality.
With Shinya Tasaki, its new president elected last November for a three year mandate, the Association de la Sommellerie Internationale has now ambitious commitments and wants to fulfill the goals of the association.
– To be totally neutral and financially independent is the key point of the new policy of A.S.I. Which explain the diversification of partnerships and the decision of avoiding the sponsorship of any A.S.I. continental or world contest by only one big brand.
– Harmonizing the qualification of sommeliers all around the world, an obvious wish of A.S.I. for many years, will be effective in 2012 thanks to the setting up of certification exams.
– Training, information will go through the totally renewed A.S.I. website. E-learning for the candidates of the exams as well as the competitions, national and international news regarding the world of wine and sommellerie, news from the official international partners of A.S.I., from O.I.V., from the 54 members of the association…
– A virtual press-room on www.sommellerie-internationale.com allowing journalists from all over the world to pick information about sommellerie.
– On the occasion of this meeting in the amphitheater of the Congress Center of Bordeaux-Lac, the Australian Sommelier Association became an active full member of A.S.I., the members of the Technical Committee for competitions have been accepted, contracts of partnership have been announced – Arc International, Moët & Chandon, Peter Lehmann/Hess Family Estates, SanPellegrino/Acqua Panna, CIVA, NESPRESSO, SUNTORY, VINEXPO, SommelierS International, AWMB (Austrian Wines) – so as the program for the next General Assemblies and Council of Administration meetings A.S.I. Also the schedule of the contests:
– A.S.I. Contest of the Best Sommelier of Asia-Oceania in South Korea, in May 2012,
– A.S.I. APAS Contest of the Best Sommelier of the Americas in Argentina and Brazil, in September 2012,
– A.S.I. Contest of the Best Sommelier of the World in Japan, in March 2013,
– A.S.I. Contest of the Best Sommelier of Europe in Italy and Monaco, in Autumn 2013.
Let’s point out that Moët & Chandon, the historical partner of A.S.I., is taking care of the A.S.I. Club of the Best Sommeliers of the World.
The next A.S.I. General Assembly will take place in South Korea in May 2012.
Nearly a year at the head of the A.S.I. Therefore the moment to report a first assessment. And tell you how proud I am to have managed to already influence and give a lift to the policy of our international association.
During my election on last November, I asserted my determination to strengthen
The Association de la Sommellerie Internationale’s new website is now operational since the beginning of summer 2011. One of the two axes of this turn on direction is “communication”. The aim not only is to improve the exchanges between the members of our association, but also to create a link between all the sommeliers in the world, their customers, the sponsors that support us flawlessly, as well as the journalists.
The second mainstay is the “establishment of universal standards”. Through this website, sommeliers from all over the world will be able to share knowledge and techniques from the Association de la Sommellerie Internationale. Videos of decanting wines or serving sparkling wines presented by the current person in charge of the Technical Committee, as well as the e-learning are already available, at the initiative of the Education Committee of the A.S.I.
We hope this renewal will meet your expectations by offering you more information and knowledge to share, and will be the vector of a better communication.
I have to thank all our partners who play and will continue to play an essential role in the fulfillment of our projects.
Being stronger, the A.S.I. will be better in serving the sommellerie worldwide.
Shinya Tasaki Chairman of the A.S.I.