Didier Fiat R.I.P.
by Jean Smullen
Sad news of the death of one of Ireland’s top Sommeliers Didier Fiat, on December 28th, 2018.
Didier was the Head Sommelier at the Kildare Hotel & Country Club for many years and was one of the emerging stars of the developing wine industry in Ireland from the 1980’s onward. Many of the countries top Sommeliers began their career under the tutelage of Didier, including Alain Brais and Simon Keegan.
Didier represented Ireland at the ASI World Sommelier competition in Brazil in 1992 where he achieved 3rd place. It was an enormous achievement for him and the Irish Guild of Sommelier and was one of the pivotal moments in the growth of the modern wine trade in Ireland.
Based in Kildare more recently Didier ran a small successful importing company supplying many of Ireland’s top restaurants and off licences. Our sincere condolences to his wife and children.
Qu’il repose en paix
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
- 1992 Bronze Medallist(3rd Place) in the World ‘Best Sommelier’ Competition in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil representing the Irish Guild of Sommeliers
- 1992 won the Irish Guild of Sommeliers Best Sommelier in Ireland competition
- Won the Sopexa Ireland ‘Best Sommelier’ in French Wines.
- Was awarded the Wine & Spirit Education Trust Diploma.
- He was also the Head Sommelier & Wine Buyer at the 5 Star ‘K Club’ for 14 years; has written wine articles for various publications such as Cara Magazine and Wine Ireland and even found time to give a few wine tasting presentations on the TV3 Show ‘Good Morning Ireland’.
In 2005 Didier turned his full attention to developing Classique & Gourmet Wines Ltd.
Oliver Murtagh, Irish Guild of Sommelier Chairman, Andrew O’ Gorman & David Dennison attended the competitions in Rio de Janeiro