The next council meeting will be held on 14th November, 11am
at The Palace Bar, Fleet Street, Dublin 1
Andrew O’Gorman with Jean-Michel Cochet,Ambassadeur de la Maison,HennesseyCognac
Report & photos under EDUCATION/GRADUATION 2017
Full report under NEWS/COMPETITIONS
A.S.I. Contest of the Best Sommelier of Europe & Africa 2017
12 Semifinalists in Vienna
The first stage of the 2017 A.S.I. (Association de la Sommellerie Internationale) Contest of the Best Sommelier of Europe taking place in Vienna, Austria, came to and end on Tuesday May 9th in the evening with the announcement of the twelve candidates selected after the quarter final through several written and practical tests.
37 sommeliers from 34 European countries and 3 from the Africa area had come to Austria with one objective : to win the title as Arvid Rosengren did in Sanremo, Italy, in 2013.
The 12 candidates selected for the semifinal are :
- Christian Jacobsen (Danemark/Denmark),
- David Biraud (France),
- Terry Kandylis (Grèce/Greece),
- Julie Dupouy (Irlande/Ireland),
- Raimonds Tomson (Lettonie/Latvia),
- Piotr Pietras (Pologne/Poland),
- Julia Scavo (Roumanie/Romania),
- Aleksandr Rassadkin (Russie/Russia),
- Jakub Pribyl (République Tchèque/Czech Republic),
- Eric Zwiebel (Royaume-Uni/United Kingdom),
- Robert Andersson (Suède/Sweden),
- Fabio Masi (Suisse/Switzerland).
David Biraud (France), Raimonds Tomsons (Latvia), Piotr Pietras (Poland) and Julia Scavo (Romania)
Raimonds Tomsons (Latvia)
Julie Dupouy, Council Menber &
Best Sommelier in Ireland since 2009 (Irish Guild of Sommeliers)
3rd Best Sommelier in the World 2016 (ASI)
Media Release: 12 September, 2016
New Zealand Winegrowers 2017 Sommit scholarship recipients announced
New Zealand Winegrowers have today announced the names of three successful sommeliers who have been chosen to participate in the 2017 Sommit Scholarship from the UK and Ireland.
The 2017 programme includes two Sommits (each is one and a half days long), and runs from 26 January to 6 February 2017 in New Zealand. The successful sommeliers will each attend one of the two events.
New Zealand based Master Sommelier Cameron Douglas and Master of Wine Stephen Wong will host the Sommits, which will be targeted solely at the interests of sommeliers, and include a deep dive into some little known, interesting aspects of New Zealand wine.
The first Sommit will be held on Waiheke Island, known as the ‘Island of wine’, situated in Auckland’s Hauraki Gulf. Attendees then travel to the Aromatics Symposium in Nelson, before crossing the Cook Strait to Pinot Noir NZ 2017 (Pinot2017) in Wellington. Described as ‘the best Pinot Noir event on the planet’, Pinot2017 showcases top New Zealand Pinot Noir, and attracts some of the world’s greatest minds and palates on the subject.
The second Sommit will take place in Wairarapa, following Pinot2017, and is preceded by a Classic Reds Symposium, held in Hawke’s Bay, featuring Syrah, Cabernets and Merlot. The Symposium will include a full day Classic Reds Masterclass, showcasing the best examples of these varieties, following specific themes.
The three successful sommeliers are:
• Julie Dupouy – The Greenhouse Restaurant, Dublin
• James Payne – Sandeman’s Restaurant at Fonab Castle Hotel, Scotland
• Melody Wong – Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London
“Following the inaugural Sommit in 2016, New Zealand Winegrowers extended the scholarship to sommeliers working in the UK and Ireland. We had a huge number of high quality applicants, but the three selected stood out as being extremely passionate, and eager to immerse themselves in the world of New Zealand wine.” said Chris Stroud, Marketing Manager, Europe.
“We are confident that Julie, James and Melody will be strong, influential and enthusiastic ambassadors for New Zealand wine in the UK and Ireland.”
- New Zealand wine exports have reached a new record high of $1.54 billion for the 2015 year, up 14% on 2014 according to New Zealand Winegrowers.
- New Zealand wine is exported to more than 90 countries, and is New Zealand’s 6th largest export good.
- Julie Dupouy, Council Menber Irish Guild of Sommeliers &
Best Sommelier in Ireland since 2009 (Irish Guild of Sommeliers)3rd Best Sommelier in the World 2016 (ASI)